These cupcakes are not at all too sweet. I love the taste of honey with fresh raspberries; tart from raspberries and sweetness from honey pair really well together. You can pick any kind of honey you like, wildflower, orange blossom etc. I used Wild Raspberry Honey for this recipe.
Wild Raspberry Honey Cupcake (make 24)
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup Wild Raspberry Honey
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 eggs + 1 egg yolk, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup buttermilk, at room temperature
Wild Raspberry Honey glaze
- 1/2 cup Wild Raspberry Honey
- 1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
sliced almond, toasted & fresh raspberry to decorate
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line standard muffin tins with paper liners.
- In the bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl. Whisk all until well mixed.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the butter, sugar, honey, and vanilla on low speed until blended; increase the speed to high and cream until very light and fluffy, 5-7 minutes. Stop the mixer frequently and scrape the paddle and the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula. Beat in yolk and eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture in 3 additions, alternating with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour.
- Divide batter evenly among lined cups, filling each half full. Bake, rotating tins halfway through, until a cake tester inserted in centers comes out clean, about 18-20 minutes.
- While the cake is in the oven, make the glaze in a small saucepan by stirring the honey, sugar, and butter over medium heat until combined. Bring the mixture just barely to a simmer. Turn off the heat but leave the saucepan on the burner to keep warm.
- Transfer cupcakes to wire racks to cool. While cupcakes still warm, poke holes into the cake and glaze each one with Wild Raspberry Honey glaze. Decorate with sliced almond & fresh raspberry.
This recipe has been adapted from “Honey Bee Cake” from Vintage Cakes by Julie Richardson