All of us have heard that we should eat “the rainbow;” it means we should eat at least one fruit or veggie from these following colors, blue or purple, green, white or brown, orange or yellow, and red. Also, they should be raw. Ouch!!!
How was I going to do that? More importantly, what was I going to make, so my hubby would happily eat? And then, it hit me; the wrap!!! My plan was to combine all veggies with marinated beef and serve spicy dressing on the side. Well, I made this twice for the past month as per his request, so I guess my recipe would be good enough for most picky eaters.
This is part of my, I guess you could say, New Year resolution; I want to create healthy recipes that even my husband will enjoy. Not that I am going to give up making/eating dessert anytime soon, but I want to incorporate more healthy recipes for this year’s archive. I can not picture myself omit dessert entirely, but I am balancing the menu for my family’s & my well-being in a long run.
Hope you try making this beautiful wrap sometimes.
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons Chilli paste with soya bean oil (or นํ้าพริกเผา)
- 1/4 cup fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- handful of micro green
Blend everything together in the blender. Taste the sauce and adjust seasoning according to your liking. (Note: fish sauce can be omitted, and soy sauce can be substituted for fish sauce if you find fish sauce smell too fishy.)
- 1 package rice paper
- 1 package enokitake (enoki) mushroom, trimmed & cleaned
- 8 oz. asparagus, trimmed & cleaned
- 1 organic yellow bell pepper, sliced
- 1 organic red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 organic orange pepper, sliced
- 1 organic purple bell pepper, sliced
- 1 pound beef
Trim all ingredients to be roughly the same length.
If time permits, marinate the meat overnight or at least 1 hour. Grill the beef to your liking; leave the meat alone for 10 minutes before slicing. Set aside.
Soften a rice paper round in a large bowl of warm water for 10 seconds. Place it on a clean benchtop and allow it to soften for a further 5-10 seconds. Place each ingredients in the middle of the rice paper round; you will need 2-3 spears of asparagus, 2 slices of beef, 3-4 sliced of each bell pepper, 5-6 mushroom per roll. Fold in both ends of the rice paper and roll to enclose the filling. Repeat with the remaining ingredients. Serve the wrap with chilli paste dressing.
Note 1: since purple bell pepper is hard to find, you can use eggplant instead.
Note 2: I did not fold in both ends because I wanted picture to show colorful veggies inside. If you want the same result, you can follow these steps:
- cut out 1/4 of rice paper before softening it in a bowl of warm water
- arrange all veggies and beef to be exposed 1/4 in length out of the rice paper.
- fold in one end and roll to enclose the filling